Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Camping Food

Alicia again. We just got back from a visit with Melanie. We spent 5 days camping on Orcas Island. I thought it might be fun to post some of our camping favorites.

Navajo Tacos for 6

Dough

Place the following in a baggie labeled Navajo Tacos (Make sure you label or you will wonder what it is. Been there done that!)

1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
2 1/4 tsp honey
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
4 1/2 cups flour (I use spelt)
1 1/2 tsp salt
Squirt a bit of Lecithin in there for good measure if you have it. Write on the baggie "add up to 1 3/4 cups water." I made this about an hour ahead of time and kneaded it in a bowl. I added 1 1/2 cups of water to start with and that was plenty.

Toppings

Can of chili (I actually made my own but let's keep it simpler)
olives
tomatoes
salsa
Vegenaise with dill mix (our ranch subsitute)
avacado (or a little packet of guacamole)
lettuce
corn
onions

I used a dutch oven tipped slightly and fried the bread in a small amount of coconut oil. I turned it with tongs and a pair of gloves. I always try to get the kids involved so they cut up the veggies and it was a hit! Half of the scones got eaten with honey. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment