Monday, January 18, 2010

Oatmeal Cake

Hey there! Okay, this is the promised oatmeal cake recipe. Let's see if I can get it typed in right. I can't really give credit for this recipe. My sister is the one who gave it to me, but really it's almost not like her recipe. However, I will put down what I use and what the original ingredient is and you can make your own choices

1 cup oatmeal in 1 1/2 cups hot water (I use regular oats)
1/2 cup butter (I have also used coconut oil, the recipe calls for margerine)
1 1/2 cups honey (the recipe calls for 1 cup sugar and 1 cup brown sugar)
1-2 TBS blackstrap molasses (for the brown sugar part)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour (1 1/2 if not using honey)
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (recipe calls for white)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Cream honey, oil (butter) and eggs. Add oatmeal and other dry ingredients into mixture. Bake for 35 minutes at 325 (recipe calls for 350, but I find that scorches it just a tad)

We eat this without frosting, but there is a wonderful caramel frosting you can make for it that my sister makes. I haven't "healthified" it at all and I have only made it once, since my kids are pretty happy to eat it frosting-less. Here is that recipe:

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1-2 egg yolks
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla

Cook over medium heat 12 minutes and add 1 cup coconut and 1 cup nuts.

When I made it, I didn't have coconut and only used nuts. I would guess you could use honey and molasses as the sugar and coconut oil as the buter. It is truly delicious, if I try the substitutions, I will update you!

Enjoy, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment